I am honored to have Taylor Phelan on the podcast today. You have probably seen him killing it on NBC’s The Voice this season. I am so excited for him and his family and the opportunities ahead of him.
On this episode, we talk about:
- How he started in music
- How he started writing songs
- How his time on staff with churches helped mold him
- How The Canes got started
- How his dream changed right when The Canes were moving forward
- How putting his family first changed everything
- How hard it was to walk away from his dream in order to take care of his family
- How making the right decision is still difficult
- How he accepted being a suburban dad
- How his wife Nikki encouraged him to continue chasing his dream
- How he pushed back on her and tried to make it impossible to keep following his dream
- How supportive everyone is on The Voice
- Humility is the hallmark of the show
- The importance of being authentic and genuine
- The importance of having a core group of people around you
- Sometimes, in life, we’re not able to pursue our dreams
- Prioritize the right things
- Sometimes, it’s better to redefine what our dreams are
- Learn how to make your dream fit your life
- When the day comes that he has to leave the show, he’ll go home to his already cool life
- Rewire your thinking to love your life now
Watch the show on Monday and Tuesday nights. Be active on Social Media with #ImPhelanit. Tag his page on Facebook, Tweet at him, and help cheer him on. Download his songs on iTunes. And if he gets to the voting stage, be sure to vote for him!
Also, be sure to check out Nikki and Taylor’s company, Blooming House Collective.
If you enjoyed hearing Taylor’s story, send him a Tweet and let him know. Be sure to include #ImPhelanit.
What stood out to you about Taylor’s story?